Friday, June 4, 2010

SATC 2, alone time and "pretty" people only gyms

I saw the new Sex and the City movie. I liked it. It wasn't the best movie, but I was satisfied with it. It probably helps that I had zero expectations. This coming from someone who watched the show from the very beginning, before all the hype. Don't get me wrong, I loved that show, but it isn't the same Sex and the City. I still love it though.
Speaking of HBO, True Blood comes back in 9 days! So excited! Oh HBO, you've brought us such wonderful shows - Sex and the City, Six Feet Under, Hung, True Blood etc. Thank goodness for PVRs!
There was one thing the movie made me think about. Me time. Now, I have said that when I'm not at work I prefer to read, watch tv, go to a bookstore and sip my favourite drink, so it makes it seem like I have plenty of me time and yes, compared to some people (especially moms) I do, but what I lack is alone time. 99.9% of the time there is someone home. It would be nice to come home one or two days of the week and have the house to myself for a few hours. At times I cherish the time it takes me to get home from work because I know that is the only alone time I will get for the day. Sometimes on my days off, even when I don't feel like going out, I force myself to go out so that I can get some breathing room. In a year or so that should all change. But until then I guess I'll have to keep doing what I am doing - otherwise it doesn't make for a very happy camper (little things are more apt to bother me). I guess the gym will become one of my new refuges, even though there are other people around.
Speaking of gyms - confession: One of the reasons I hated going to the gym was because it felt like a fashion show/meat market, especially during university. It doesn't make for a very comfortable atmosphere when all you want to do is wear your most comfortable (and in my case, least flattering) sweats and sweat your heart out.
There is this one gym that is pretty popular among some of my friends and one day I went to drop something off there with a friend. After finishing up with my friend one of the sales managers tried to steal me away from my current gym. I explained that I felt that their gym had too many "pretty" people. The sales manager laughed when I said that. I told him that his gym seems more like a place where people go to be seen. Sure there are a lot of people who go there to work out, but very few of them are wearing oversized sweats and baggy pants. Instead all I ever see are lululemon workout/yoga gear and men who look like they are either trying to be body builders or on the next season of Jersey Shore. A tad harsh? Perhaps, but honestly I need to feel comfortable to go there otherwise it is just a big waste of money. I guess I shouldn't judge, but I'd been there and done that in university. That kind of gym wasn't fun. I guess when you're confident and done dealing with your insecurities you don't worry about such things as too many "pretty" people at your gym or the fact that it is open season on the meat market.

No comments:

Post a Comment