Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy May 2-4 Weekend!

Can you say hot?! Hot and humid. That is how I would describe the weather this long weekend and over the next few days. Makes me wish I had a pool so I could do this....

But I am not complaining, this is exactly what I had wished for this summer. Granted, it isn't summer yet, technically it is still spring, but whatever May 2-4 weekend is the unofficial start to summer over here.


Anyhoo, so yesterday I went to a BBQ and I have to say it went pretty well in terms of my resisting bad foods. I managed to steer clear of the not so good stuff, by filling my plate with a lot of veggies.

I'm not going to act like I didn't eat any bbq chicken, pork, rice or pasta, because I did. What I didn't do was fill my plate full of that. Instead I had what I would like to call a taste of the food. It was delicious! I can't deprive myself but I was trying not to over indulge. I even managed to squeeze in an hour at the gym. I did 15 min on the treadmill, 15 on the elliptical (both of which I did interval training on) then 1/2 hour on the weight machines - mostly working my legs.
Today, I can't say that I was as good on the eating front. I decided to treat myself to three - I was going to say a couple, but I'm trying to be honest - pieces of pizza with garlic dip, which is divine. I did however have a healthy breakfast and I also squeezed in another 1 hour at the gym. This time I did the cross ramp thing, for 15 mins, where it is like you are climbing a hill/mountain, 15 mins on the elliptical and used the weight machines for the remaining time. I need to reincorporate floor exercises again. I find that I say I'm going to do it at home, but then I make an excuse: I'm too tired, I should clean my room first, where's my exercise ball? on and on....sound familiar?
I plan on heading back to the gym either tomorrow or Wednesday. I am starting to understand how going to the gym can become addictive. While, I don't get the high, it is a nice way to spend time out of the house as opposed to at my favourite bookstore and coffee shop. For some reason I can never go there and not get some kind of drink, and with the weather the way it is a nice cup of caramel ice coffee tends to have its appeal. Oh restraint - how tricky it is to have sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. This thing isn't letting me post comments. Let's see if it works this time. Oh it's so hard for me at BBQs and parties to make the healthier choices. That chicken looks amazing. I found your blog through the Healthy You Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Traci,
    Yeah BBQs can be killer! I think my only real saving grace was the fact that my sister in law loves vegetables and made a ton of them.

    ReplyDelete